From [ the 2.5.0 release announcement ]:
Changes in release 2.5.0
- Communication security/authentication: Kerberos 4/5, OpenSSH
- Data security: Symmetric/Assymetric encrytion algorithms (aesutil and gpg encryption), Encryption can be done on server or client, Custom encryption utilities can be used.
- Compression: Ability to add custom compression tools. This is a really useful feature especially since it can specified for a DLE. You can use different compression algorithm for images, binaries, ascii files and so on.
- Dump images spanning multiple media volumes - Dump images are no longer restricted to a single media volume (tape or vtape). ← !!!!!! Data restoration can be done using amrecover and amfetchdump commands.
- Auto tape labelling - This optional feature is good for disk backups.
Dear Amanda Team,
P.S. /me happily axes out custom scripts that split a 300GB filesystem into hundreds of tarfiles